Destination New Zealand and Peter Grunwald’s Eyebody Retreat

28 December, 2009 at 20:12 2 comments

I’ll be traveling to the airport tomorrow morning catching a flight bound for New Zealand.  Flight time is going to be nearly 24 hours including a 2 hour stop over in Los Angeles for crew change (and refuel?).

The purpose of this trip will be to attend Peter Grunwald’s 3 week long Eyebody workshop.  The Eyebody method is a totally natural system of eye sight improvement, it incorporates ideas from Alexander Technique and Bates Method eye exercises plus a unique and holistic concept of eye, body and mind awareness that has been discovered by Peter which he used over a period of 18 months to completely let go of wearing glasses to correct an eye condition which he had for over 27 years without any kind of surgical intervention whatsoever.  I’ve already spent a day with Peter in a group workshop sampling some of the ideas and techniques when he attended The Mind, Body, Spirit Festival in London earlier on this year so know that spending 3 weeks practicing daily and ingraining the learnings into habit is going to be worthwhile.  As a famous personal development saying goes, when we are adults it’s not so much about learning new things but UNLEARNING the subconscious habits we have picked up along with way (especially in our first 7 years of childhood), and this is the nature of the process I’m expecting to go through.

Being a massage therapist and bodyworker I sometimes get involved with structural and postural alignment work with my clients and it’s also been something I’ve been exploring myself on myself through modalities such as indirect and direct myofascial release, cranoisacral therapy and visceral manipulation as well as body awareness through qigong, but this is the first time I’ll have comprehensively experienced first hand Alexander Technique.  All very interesting stuff which feeds back and around into the loop as I get to experience and benefit from and also which I can pass on and benefit the people whom I also work with.

I believe there will be 7 others on this workshop retreat, all with vastly different eye conditions no doubt, so I will report back what unfolds for those interested in the applicability of this approach to their specific circumstances.  Save to say that perhaps the key theoretical cornerstone to this Eyebody work is that the physical structural integrity of the eye and the optic nerve only accounts for 10% of our perception of sight, the other 90% in other words comes from the processing or our currently installed software which “filters” and gives us our “perception” of sight to give a computer type of analogy.

More information can be found at:

The first week of the workshop will be held residential on site amongst the natural beauty and surroundings of The Mana Retreat Centre in Coromandel (on the coastal location about 2.5 hours drive from Auckland).  From what I’ve gleaned from the videos that I’ve found of this place on YouTube, it’s going to be just like mana to a nature lover such as myself:

The remaining 2 weeks of the workshop will be held in Auckland.

I’ll hopefully be providing regular updates to this blog whilst I’m out there if logistics allow, otherwise I’ll make sure that a written debrief and photos are made available on my return.

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy and prosperous 2010.

Henry. xx


Entry filed under: Natural Therapies. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , .

The journey of a thousand miles begins… The Eyebody Retreat 2010 in Detail

2 Comments Add your own

  • 1. elizabethpowers  |  10 March, 2010 at 03:30

    Your blog looks great, very professional. You’ve done a lot of work here. Congratulations on a job well done.

    • 2. Henry Tang  |  10 March, 2010 at 14:49

      Hi Elizabeth, thanks so much for taking the time out to have a look. I hope things are going really great with you? 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed

Henry Tang – Therapeutic & Advanced Clinical Massage Practitioner (Crows Nest, Sydney, Australia)

Click image above to visit Spaces of Possibilities Wellness Centre, Crows Nest, Sydney, Australia.

Enter your email address to subscribe and receive your complementary "Claim Your Power Back" audio download, plus get all the latest news, offers, and blog postings delivered to your inbox the moment they've been submitted here.

Join 29 other followers



%d bloggers like this: